Friday, April 24, 2009

Life Lessons From a Caterpillar



Penguin has successfully transformed into a moth!!

Colby got home from school yesterday to see an empty cocoon and a moth perched on the side of the netting. I was at the mailboxes and heard this scream. After the past two weeks and our injury record, I was almost afraid to run into the house. He met me at the door jumping up and down and screaming that the butterfly is alive!

Whew! I am impressed with ourselves. I was so worried that the caterpillar would die the first night. When it didn't, I just knew it would never "hatch". I even read up on the internet about caterpillars and how long it takes for them to hatch -- 2 weeks to a few months. I figured I would have to have that net cage on my fireplace hearth for a few more months before we could convince Colby that it wasn't going to come out!

This morning, we decided it was time to let him go.



Colby was fine at first. And, then, he got very sad.



"I don't want to let him go, Mom."

I put my arm around him and MY tears started pouring down my cheeks. I could feel his little heart breaking. I wondered why that caterpillar had to mess with his heart! Instead, I decided to prepare him for the future...I said, "Just remember this in about 10 years when you are leaving me to start your life and I don't want YOU to go."

1 comment:

Lesley Miller said...

Such a sweet story! I love reading your blogs!