Friday, October 23, 2009

A "Thriller" of a Project

I have always said that the only way to make a good grade on a school project is to spend at least $40 on materials. (It could have to do with the mother of my sons who has her own ideas of how to improve upon their project; just a thought!)

Anyhow, Project #3 for Connor this year is for Spanish class. They will be learning about the "Day of the Dead" celebration in the Spanish culture. He will be making a Calaca, which is a skeleton doll the size of a Barbie that represents a famous person. The clothing and accessories are the key to this because that is what will identify his Calaca.

Guess who my son chose to make a Calaca of??? Michael Jackson...

We sat down and made a list for my weekly trip to Michaels and/or Hobby Lobby. The main ingredient being Crayola Model Magic Clay so he can shape the doll. "Mom, you need to get a mixture of black, white and tan so we can get his coloring right." Okay...

My main concern was how we were going to dress him. Surely there is a doll out there.

So the Day of the Dead project brought out my first bidding wars through E-Bay. I spent one day bidding and loosing these Michael Jackson dolls -- are you kidding me -- they want HOW MUCH for a Michael Jackson doll?!? Chris finally told me to pay anything because it would be totally worth it for me not to buy the fabric and try to make something that resembled Michael Jackson's costumes -- I think he just didn't want to deal with a stressed out wife!

I successfully got a doll on Tuesday night and was so excited!! (That bidding thing could be addictive!)

I got back from the mailbox today and guess what was in there?
Yeah!!

All I can say is that Connor should get an A+ on this because we've exceeded my $40 project budget!!

1 comment:

Justin said...

I think Connor should sell his "calaca" on EBAY! D