Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Attempted Zoo Escape

Over the past few months, Colby has been turning his room into a zoo.

In May, his beloved goldfish died and we promised him that we would get him a bigger tank and lots more fish if we could wait until September...of course, come September, he remembered! After months of trying to figure out the correct Ph balance, alkalinity, and which fish will survive, I think we have finally perfected the 10-gallon tank. For three straight weeks, not one fish has died and we are somehow reproducing snails. However, this tank is loud and sounds somewhat like a waterfall in his room!

Also in September, the 5th grade had a Fall Social at school. It is an after-school event with tons of games, food and fun. Students buy tickets to use on these activities -- Colby had 80. Before he left for school that day he asked me if he could put a ticket in for the Hamster Raffle. Knowing that we never win anything, I said "Sure." When I picked him up after the Social, he informed me that he had put 40 tickets in the Hamster Raffle -- but that he wouldn't win because another guy put in 150.

Monday morning the phone rang and guess who won the hamster???

Yep!

Hammie came home that afternoon with his pink nose twitching. Thankfully he has no tail or I might not have let him in the house. Colby is so good about cleaning his cage and playing with him. Probably because he knows if I had to do it, Hammie may end up in the Great Outdoors! ;)

Hammie likes to sleep all day and is ready to party all night. Colby recorded him for us yesterday and I really don't know how Colby gets any sleep! When Hammie chews on his cage and drinks his water, it sounds like a pack of well...rats!

This morning as I was vacuuming, I heard Colby screaming. I ran into his room and he said Hammie jumped out of his hands and was behind his nightstand. This nightstand has about 100 books in it so we screamed for Connor to come use his muscles to move it out of the way. Thankfully, after about 15 minutes, Colby enticed Hammie out and got him back in his cage.

There couldn't have been a better scenario because grandma will be here in 30 hours and she may have not slept very well knowing a rat...I mean, a hamster...was running loose through the house!

No comments: