Thursday, February 21, 2008

Seafood for Breakfast

Today was a big day to be a first grader: Reading Restaurant!

We moved to The Woodlands the summer before Connor started first grade. There have been many programs and concerts over the last five years; but, it all began with Reading Restaurant. Reading Restaurant is a time for the students to show off their reading skills to their parents in a fun way. I remember Connor's big chef hat and little apron. I don't remember the theme of our meal -- if there even was one. But, he did a great job reading books to us and then the class performed a poem or two.

Fast forward five years, and when I got the notice that Colby's Reading Restaurant was set for Feb. 21, I got teary-eyed. Now I am not very emotional. But it hit me hard that this was the LAST Reading Restaurant I would be going to. In fact, everything of Colby's that I go to will be the LAST. Gosh, I hope I don't cry my way through his school years! (And before I get some smart comment from my sister - no, I do not want another baby!!)

So, this morning, Chris and I went to school and he greeted us donned in his chef's hat and apron.



He asked very politely if we would like to be seated at Snyder's Seafood Shack. We assured him we would. He seated us at his desk that was decorated with shells and nets and placemats and then gave us a menu. He quickly hurried off to fetch our "book" of food.



He read "More Spaghetti I Say" and "The Lunchbox Surprise" and then offered the Chef's Surprise.



After we paid our bill in hugs and kisses, I hugged Mrs. Snyder and told her thank you for letting me have one more Reading Restaurant!

1 comment:

Brittani's Holding Little Hands said...

what a cute idea and your little man looked adorable in his Chef hat!