Tuesday, September 15, 2009

NYC: The Day of Celebrities

Let me begin with a little "history".

I am a huge Regis and Kelly fan -- I have mentioned that before in my blog. I call them my morning cup of coffee (since I don't drink coffee). Host chat is my 15 minutes every morning where I sit down and don't worry about the things that are waiting for me.

One of two goals in my lifetime is to see Regis in person before he is no longer with us and to be on Wheel of Fortune. I know, what a big goal-setter I am, huh?!? Anyhow, here I am planning for the past year to go to New York and I think, "Now is my chance to see Regis!!!" In June, I sent in one postcard with my name, address, when I want to go to the show and how many tickets I want.

In the meantime, I hear of people who sent in postcards and were then told there was a year wait. "Oh, well. At least I can say I tried, " I thought.

We were leaving on August 7 at 3:30 am; so, when the mail did not deliver my long-awaited tickets on August 6, I was a tad sad.

The week in Cooperstown was coming to a close and all of the sudden I thought again of my bad fortune. Chris suggested I call my friend, Glenda, who was watching our house and ask her if I received anything from Regis. She didn't answer so I left a message for her. My phone rang Thursday night while I was sitting in the bleachers of the Championship Field just after the Hooks had been introduced and given their Hall of Fame rings. Needless to say, it was loud! However, when Glenda said, "Yes, you've got something here from them." I went nuts!!

She and her husband had the letter priority mailed to our hotel in New York City so Chris and I could get in on Tuesday morning. Yipee!!! Monday evening when we returned to our hotel, there it was!

We left the hotel early on Tuesday morning to make sure we got a good place in line. We were probably 20 or so back in line. After going through security and a metal detector and waiting some more, we were lead down the same hall that Regis and Kelly come down(!) and then into the studio. Talk about SMALL!! I was so amazed how close together everything is, yet it looks so much more spacious on TV.

I kept nudging poor Chris and pointing at things for him to take pictures of...

The Kleenex box!

Gelmen giving us directions on how to clap and when to clap.

Art Moore

Summer Snapshot Trivia


Unfortunately, Kelly was on vacation -- but my goal wasn't to see her, right? She's my age, so I have lots more time to see her!!

A "Local to Live" filled in as co-host with celebrity James Spader.


During commercials, Regis would come to the audience and talk to various people. I am not even certain he even looked at me, even though I was on the fourth row! But, I didn't care. It was a special morning!!



My sweet in-laws took our boys to visit The Intrepid -- which they absolutely loved and ended up spending many hours at. So Chris and I had the rest of the afternoon to ourselves. We walked around Central Park and decided we were ready for lunch. "Where should we go??" Chris said, "What about Hello Deli?" Sounded fun -- maybe Dave or Paul would be hanging out with Rupert Gee!?!

As we walked towards Hello Deli, the backstage doors to Letterman were open and we recognized some of the stagehands that sometimes appear working on props outside. Also, as we past the open doors, I can agree with the rumors of how cold Letterman's studio is -- it was like walking past a freezer!! BRR!!

We open the door to Hello Deli and there, behind the counter, is Rupert! I wish I had asked to get my picture with him; but, I was trying really hard to be cool. I ordered a Regis Sandwich (of course!) and it was delicious. The deli probably doesn't meet all of the cleanliness codes; but, oh well! As we sat at one of the three tables in the deli, we noticed a Winnebago parked at the curb with a big burly man going in and out with food. We wondered who could be in there.

As we left the deli, there was a small gathering of paparazzi waiting at the back door to Letterman. Here we are with a few hours to kill in NYC...let's be paparazzi-like! We found a spot across the street and waited...and waited...and waited. Throughout the 2 1/2 hours we waited, we saw celebrities!!

First, Paul Shafer...

Then Biff Henderson...

Billy Currington...

Diane Kruger...

And...Donald Trump!

I decided it is probably a good thing I don't live in New York City because everyday around 2pm I would head to Letterman's door and watch the celeb's!

We got back in time to eat a real New York pizza at John's Pizzeria and fill the boys and the in-laws in on our day and they filled us in on theirs.

We ended the night with the Broadway musical "The Lion King" -- amazing!!

A great way to end an amazing 12-day vacation. I really did not want to go home and back to real life! As I am creating my photo album right now of our trip, I am having a blast just reliving it all and am anxious for our next adventure!!

No comments: