Friday, September 11, 2009

NYC: Hours 25-48

We found that riding in cabs in NYC is not only expensive; but, when you get out of a cab, you feel you have experienced a mini-miracle that you are in one piece and that the cab is in one piece! In fact, we made the comment that the cabs all look to be in good shape -- no dents or scratches. How could that be? Then we saw one that was smooshed and thought that it was still good odds!!

Walking, although it wears you out, was my favorite. It was so much fun just happening upon these old buildings. We were walking and there was Radio City Music Hall, Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center...These weren't on my "To Do" list and if we had taken the subway, bus, or cab, we would have missed them.

I also loved the architecture of NYC. A modern building will be right next to an old cathedral built in the 1800's. It was beautiful!






Day two was a walking day. We left the hotel and headed for Fifth Avenue. If I hadn't planned the day, I would be convinced that my father-in-law and Chris planned it because it was Sunday and we walked up Fifth Avenue at 10am! So, the only shopping I did was window shopping. That's OK, though, only Tiffany's called my name!

We did see Rockefeller Center, which is so much smaller than I ever imagined. The ice rink must only hold a few dozen skaters at a time!





St. Patrick's Cathedral was built in 1878 and is the largest Catholic cathedral in the U.S. Plus, it is beautiful and reminded me alot of the cathedrals in England; although, this one was brighter and "happier" than the ones in England.





I had to go into Trump Tower. As I was walking around and gawking, Chris said I could stand there and pretend that Donald was saying, "Davedda, you're fired!" Now, that's not very nice, is it?!?



We walked our way up to Central Park and sat down on some park benches. Lining the benches were lots of "artists" wanting to do drawings/caricatures of people. The boys decided to have theirs drawn. It was such a "Central Park" thing!





On to the Central Park Zoo -- a sweet and quaint place to see animals.





We were hot and hungry and decided to try a restaurant that was recommended to me by a friend...Jekyll and Hyde. It was a few blocks down from Central Park and was obvious when we found it!




It turned out to be a haunted, dinner theater place where everything on the walls and all the waitstaff sing and dance and interact with the diners. It was a pricey lunch; but, the boys had a fun time!

Since Central Park takes up 843 acres, we decided to go back after lunch and see some more. The park is absolutely a little piece of heaven tucked away in a busy metropolis. As we sat watching people go by, it occurred to me that these people were locals bringing their kids to the park with their scooters and picnic lunches. Central Park is their BACKYARD. I can't imagine!

Here are a few pictures of Central Park which were taken over several visits:










On our walk back to the hotel, we found the Ed Sullivan Theater and Hello Deli. I have lots to blog about concerning these two places; but, you will have to tune back in for day four!! Let me just say, it was a celebrity-seeing day!!!




We ate dinner at Heartland Brewery. Once again a great dinner and great beer according to my husband and father-in-law! Finished the night off in Times Square and at the boys' other favorite places to go -- the Hershey's store and the M&M store!


1 comment:

Keri said...

I love, love, love New York! Looks like you guys had a wonderful time!! Can't wait to hear about your Regis and Kelly experience....