Saturday, May 1, 2010

Everyone Needs A Personal Day

I am a rule follower.

1) If you are not sick and it's a school day -- you'd better be in school -- the WHOLE day!

2) There is no reason to be tardy.

I am also a wimp. I can't stand having to face the Attendance Office if my kids need to be taken out early or have to miss. How is it that the Attendance Lady can make me, the mother, feel so intimidated?? They are MY kids for goodness sake!

I still pray that the computer will pick up when I call in if they are sick so I don't have to tell a live person that my son will be absent. I feel the need to embellish a sickness so there is no possible way they would want to be near my son! I end up hanging up and feeling pathetic!!

What is worse is the handful of times that I have had to take Connor out early to get to a baseball tournament in time. I already am feeling horrible about myself because I am breaking my own Rule #1!! Then I wonder if I should lie to the school so I don't feel even more guilty!

Well, this week, I have evidently become a rule breaker because my kids were allowed to be tardy on Monday and I allowed Colby to take a "Personal Day" on Friday.

My good friend allows her kids to each have a "Personal Day" during the year. They get to pick how they want to spend the day together. My boys caught wind of that and decided it was a great idea. Somehow Connor took his personal day early in the year. However, with TAKS testing coming up (and if you are a resident of Texas, you know how important TAKS tests are! :( ), I told Colby he could have his "Personal Day" after the tests were finished.

Wednesday afternoon he came home from his last TAKS test and proclaimed that he needed a three-day weekend and would be taking Friday as his "Personal Day".

I was so proud of myself on Friday morning. I called into the school, the computer answered and I loudly and proudly announced that Colby would be absent because he was taking a Personal Day!! Yeah me!!! (And, the CISD police haven't even knocked on my door yet!)

Colby and I had a fun day hanging out together. He is a money-saver and decided he wanted to do a little shopping. Our first stop was for a new craze at his school -- animal-shaped rubber bands that the kids wear like bracelets.

He also has been wanting this new scooter that has a Ripstick base and a Razor Scooter handle bar. Evidently it is "crazy"! And, the drifting is awesome! Hmmm...
Bowling was the choice activity for the day.

He and I went back and forth on strikes and spares


But in the end, mom beat him twice!

He told me next year on his "Personal Day" we would not be going bowling!! :)

No comments: