Sunday, December 12, 2010

First Tree

Chris and I got married very young. Being in college and living in Married Student Housing made the financial and spacial constraints of having Christmas trees just something we had to deal with. Plus, we always went "back home" so we actually had two trees -- one at my parents house and one at his parents house.

This little glass tree was the only tree we had for several years.

I can still remember the first Christmas tree we purchased.

We were living in Stillwater, OK. Chris was in graduate school and I was working at the Chamber of Commerce. Chris surprised me one night about 5:00 by walking into the Chamber, grabbing me and my coat and telling me to get in the truck. We headed to Wal-mart, got a cart and he pushed it to the Christmas aisle. We searched the aisles for the perfect lights and decorations. We ended up with a theme of purple and green! (This WAS the early 90's!!)

We then headed outside to the trees and scoured the lot for the perfect tree!

I will never forget the excitement over that night and how Chris surprised me.

Every year, I still "put up" our first tree to remind me of how far we've come and that special "first" in our marriage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

;o)

Keri said...

Ahhhh.....I love this!!! It's so weird to think back to the days when it was just two and a very tight budget that made things like a tree a special treat!! I miss those days sometimes!