Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thankful

The Blakley Family has thrown tradition to the wind -- at least "normal" traditions. We don't spend hours on Thanksgiving Day cooking or eat in the dining room of a family member. Our tradition is meeting in some city in Texas for Thanksgiving weekend. We stay in a hotel, go on outings, make crafts with the kids and watch a lot of football! And, of course, we do eat!

This year we met in San Antonio. A beautiful, historic city.

We stayed on the River Walk, ate Thanksgiving dinner at a quaint restaurant, visited the zoo, and watched the river be transformed into a Christmas wonderland with Santa arriving on a boat!

My mom wanted us all to go around to say what we are thankful for. Judson, the youngest, was thankful for the clones in Star Wars! My sister and brother-in-law are at the end of a 3 1/2 year "adventure" and are thankful with God's provisions throughout it all.

One of our newer traditions is helping people on Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, having lots of kids, it is hard to find somewhere where all of us can volunteer. This year we took matters into our own hands and the kids fixed bags of food for the homeless. My dad carried a big bag full of sack lunches through the streets of San Antonio and when we came upon a homeless person he would gather all the grandkids around and have one of them give the homeless person a small bag of nourishment. Each person was very grateful. We heard some sad stories. I believe it made a difference in each of our hearts -- to realize how blessed we really are.

I am thankful for so much. I have been blessed since the moment I entered this world. I have amazing Christian parents. Having a dad and mom who "walks the walk", especially in front of my kids, is huge! I have always been loved, supported and encouraged. I married a man who is my best friend, who I love being with and who I want to grow old with. He is an awesome father and giver and provider. I have two boys who are healthy, smart and fun! I live in the best country in the world. I know that God is beside me through everything and He is the Lord of my family.

And...we all really like spending time with each other!



No comments: