Friday, November 19, 2010

Something Is Missing

About this time for the past four days -- after my three boys were at work and school and the house settled into quiet -- a little voice would say, "Good Morning DD!"

I would turn towards the voice and see a four-year-old boy standing in his jammies with sleep still in his eyes and a big smile on his face. Behind him would be a nine-year-old boy rubbing his eyes and his hair going in all directions.

From Sunday until Thursday, I kept my sister's two boys while they went out of town. They live in Dallas but will be moving soon. Unfortunately, we didn't take advantage of being only four hours from each other like we should have.

It occurred to me that it has been five years since I've had someone to pal around with all day. It has been at least five years since I sat by the window in Chick-fil-A watching "my kids" play in the play area. It has been five years since I sat on the park bench and listened to the laughter of boys climbing and swinging and running.

I really enjoyed my time with Jed and Judson. It is quiet in the house today. Even Colby mentioned last night how weird it felt not having Jed to play with. That is sweet. I am thankful for the memories that were made this past week. That is what family is all about.

3 comments:

Danette said...

Thank you for keeping them and loving them and spoiling them. I'm sad we haven't spent more time together and the kids too being just 4 hours away. You and Chris have blessed us in so many ways. We love you!

:o) said...

You know how to solve that, right???

Keri said...

I miss those days......not enough to revisit them, but I do miss them!!!