Monday, November 8, 2010

Oh How I Missed You

So, I have been on this kick lately about tracking our spending...

My friend began this coupon/circular savings system last year. I keep hearing how much money she saves and finally decided to give it a whirl. Who wants to spend all that money on food that you then have to go and cook?? Not me!!

I have always been a Wal-Mart shopper. I do not like going grocery shopping so Wal-Mart is truly my "one stop shop" as they say on the commercial! I know where everything is located. I have my routine down -- from saying "Hello" to the same doorman to turning left into McDonald's to get a large Diet Coke and then going back outside to get a cart. I then get a wipey and wipe off all the germs and take another left and head to the Health/Beauty department. I work my way back and over and end in the Produce Section.

Four weeks ago, I decided to try Glenda's coupon/circular strategy. Unfortunately, I found that Randall's had better deals on some things than Wal-Mart. I was going to have to change my routine!! Let me tell you that there were some pros and some cons that first Monday!

The first thing I noticed was how nice every Randall's employee was and how there was an employee around every corner! The meat man was giving me recipe ideas. The deli man was searching for the olive tapanade I wanted like he was going to purchase it for himself.

Then when I saw how much money I saved, I was ecstatic! Totally worth the one con...

Maneuvering in a new grocery store is painful!! I had NO idea where anything was located and it took me twice as long to get groceries because I had to keep going to opposite sides of the store to get something I had missed. Oh, how I longed for familiarity!

Each week I have returned to Randall's and each week gets easier. I would have to say that I do think I am saving money -- not sure how much yet because I think when you stock up on sale items one week and then stock up on other sale items the next it is hard to tell. Randall's has awesome meat sales so I have seen a huge help in that regard.

I do have to say that I think I know the true cause of why people become hoarders...they begin by stocking up on sale items! For example, my pantry has three boxes of Connor's cereal, my garage has three cases of water stacked in it and behind my trashcan is enough paper towels to last six months!

As I was making my grocery list for this week, I decided that yes, this was finally paying off because I only had a few items to fill my already overstocked pantry. So I decided to make a quick trip back to my Wal-Mart to pick up the few things.

Ahhh...my same doorman was waiting to greet me. My Diet Coke was calling my name and when I turned left and walked right to the toothpaste, I had to smile!

1 comment:

Keri said...

Enjoy every single second you are in Randalls....and in Wal Mart for that case! I still haven't found a grocery store yet that I call my own. It all depends on which one carries the most American items, has a convenient taxi stand, etc. It's crazy!! I still can't seem to stock my pantry....a lot of that is because I just can't get over the sticker shock. I did come a little closer to spending $12 on a package of bacon the other day!!