Thursday, November 11, 2010

It's Just the Way I Am

I believe I have posted about my Type A personality when it comes to closet organization. When the boys and I clean out their closets, we organize them by season and by color. So, all the short-sleeved shirts are together grouped by color; all the long-sleeved shirts are together grouped by color -- see? Very easy to find things this way. This is how I organize my closet as well...

It is not uncommon for Chris to holler out for me to come and help him match shirts with certain pants. And, I have to admit, it can be a little overwhelming and easier to wear the same thing over and over.

Twice-a-year, we will go on a shopping spree for him and invariably we get to the store and don't know what he has nor what he needs. Because I am not allowed to group his shirts by color, I really don't have a feel for his attire!

About a month ago, we were fixing to go out on such a shopping venture and I decided to use my organizational skills in a new way. I was going to know what he had and what he needed! So, for about two hours I took out every piece of clothing and began "matching" outfits together. I started with his black pair of pants and wrote down each shirt that could be worn with those black pants. I even took pictures of each set -- afterward I decided that he was a big boy and could read the label and match to the lists without help from pictures!

When I finished, I had this:

He can now go probably a year without wearing the exact same outfit! Although it's not too pretty, this list makes me so happy! And, when we went to the store, we knew exactly which colored shirts he could use and if there was anything in his closet to match new pairs of pants. Yipee!!

I concocted this while Chris was out of town and stapled it to his closet before he got home. I was anxious to see his reaction. He walked in and started laughing! However, a couple of days ago he came out wearing a nice ensemble - :) - and I asked him if he got that idea from the list and he told me that he did and that he looks at it every morning to help him get dressed!

Does he know how to warm my heart or what?!?

1 comment:

Keri said...

I need to fly you to Singapore to help me out!