Thursday, November 4, 2010

Minute By Minute

Car rider or bus....Guess how I decided how Colby would get to school today?

I looked at the calendar, saw what was scheduled for today and counted backwards -- minute by minute.

It seems that the majority of my days lately are spent going from one activity to the other. I like that. I don't want to change anything. I just sometimes get overwhelmed and wish I could make time stop. That minutes wouldn't tick by. That minutes weren't so important.

My feet hit the ground at 5:45 and every minute counted. Connor had to be at school at 6:45 and I had to drive him. I probably looked like the Tasmanian Devil whirling around getting breakfasts and lunches prepared, making sure notes were signed, reading logs logged, baseball clothes packed AND getting a shower and half my makeup on before 6:30. I got back in time to finish my makeup and hair before getting Colby up and fed and then we were in the car at 7:40 to get both of us to school on time. (Yes, he was car rider because taking the bus would have gotten him home 10 minutes too late this afternoon!)

I had library duty until 9:10 and then had three items to return to three different stores in three different locations. I knew I had to be at Connor's school for a conference with his counselor concerning his four-year high school plan (yikes!) at 2pm. Sounded like I had lots of time to shop around and enjoy a leisurely day. However, I found myself counting backwards again! "If I stay any longer in THIS store, I won't make it to THAT store and that is the store I came here for in the first place!" I was the Tasmanian Devil in Target, DSW, Old Navy and all over the mall!!

I made it to Connor's school five whole minutes early only to have the meeting go 10 minutes too long. Therefore, I was far back in car rider line to pick Colby up which made me get home five minutes later. Instead of having 20 minutes to regroup, we had 15 minutes! In the door, go through the backpack, grab homework, drinks and snacks and hit the road again!

All that counting backwards paid off when I got home at a normal hour and actually had time to make one of Connor's favorite dinners. Colby got to play with his friends on this gorgeous evening. Now they are bathed and upstairs chilling out getting ready to go to sleep and start over tomorrow!!

As for me, I see my schedule is completely free until 5:15pm tomorrow. I am sure I will be utterly bored by noon!

No comments: