Saturday, February 12, 2011

Spoiled

We are doing a little renovating to our kitchen. New granite countertops led to some new appliances and backsplash. I can see the light at the end of the white-powdered tunnel; however, I have had to go for about four days without any appliances. I went without a sink for one day -- using the bathroom for my water supply. Luckily, Chris got the sink installed 24 hours later so that is a huge help! If I can't microwave a meal, we go out (and I am not complaining about THAT one!! :) )

Last night, Connor brought down some dishes from his snack and sat them in the sink.

"Mom, how do you wash dishes without the dishwasher?"

Hmmm.... "It's called washing them by hand."

After laughing about it, it occurred to me that in his 14 years, he has probably really never seen me have to hand wash dishes!

When we were first married and lived in old rental houses, I would get up and wash all the dishes from the day before. It was just a part of my day. We were lucky enough to build a house when Connor was a year old -- and I never have been without a dishwasher since.

It has always amazed me at what advances were made in my grandparents' day. They saw the invention of cars, TVs, microwave ovens, and cell phones. Life for my grandma went from living in a "house" dug out of dirt during the Depression to owning cars and microwaves AND dishwashers!

I am so thankful that God chose to put me in this day and time! After Connor made his comment, I immediately thought that I had such a spoiled boy! However, it seems to me that I am a spoiled girl!

Chris got my dishwasher hooked back up last night and I LOVED being able to load up the dirty dishes, close the door, push the button and walk away!

Now, if I could only find an oven and stove that I could load up an empty pot or pan, close the door, push the button and come back to an awesome gourmet meal!! But, that would be beyond spoiled, wouldn't it??

1 comment:

Keri said...

Now that I live somewhere where the norm is to have a "helper", most kids my boys age don't even know how to clean up after themselves. The other day Nathan had two buddies over and they were in his room. I told him he couldn't play until after he put away a stack of clean clothes. As I was leaving his room I heard him turn to his friends and say, "Guys, you're getting ready to see something you've never seen before. It's called putting away your own clothes!". I've even been called old-fashioned for choosing to not have a helper. Can you imagine??