Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ten Years In The Making





The first sport that Connor tried was soccer and he didn't like all the running. He was four years old and the only thing he cared about was halftime because they got to have a snack! We decided to try baseball that Spring and a passion was ignited in that boy like nothing else!

For the first few years, he played baseball like "normal" children do...playing in the Spring about fifteen games with one practice a week. We had the Wal-mart cleats, glove and bat. The uniform was a t-shirt provided by whoever was sponsoring the team that season and a pair of $9.99 baseball pants.

We moved to Texas and started playing in the Fall as well as the Spring. Practices ramped up to two a week and probably twenty games were played each season. We were "hard-core"!

When he was about eight, Connor began showing an interest in catching. The first few years all I remember is his coaches and his dad hollering at him to "Scoot up!" when he was behind the plate. He was a little timid but hard-headed enough to stay at it.

Due to some "baseball politics", Connor's 9-year-old team switched from the Little League organization to USSSA, which is now Nations Baseball. This resulted in playing for the Spring/Klein League. Little did we know that this move would change our lives.

Connor's best buddy down the street played tournament baseball, which meant that they traveled all over Texas playing baseball games most weekends until the late hours of Sunday nights. As I would pass their house on Monday mornings and see their coolers draining on the driveway, I would swear we would never become "that family"! We didn't need to travel all over to get better. Heck, Connor's 9-year-old team placed 1st in the Spring/Klein League! His team had talented boys who were passionate about baseball too! In fact, one of Connor's teammates would spend the night and bring his baseball glove because that is what he slept with every night!

It has been said: "Never say never" and it was only a few short months before I was eating my words! Connor tried out for and made the Spring/Klein Hooks baseball team...

...and then our lives changed...

...and we became "that family"!

The last four years, we have logged thousands of miles driving/flying to baseball tournaments. In addition to playing throughout Central and South Texas, we have played in Louisiana, Kansas and New York. We have gone from Fall and Spring Seasons to an All-Year Season only having about three weeks off a year. Seven days a week for weeks on end have been spent at a practice, game or lesson. And, I hate to say it, but, Wal-mart gear hasn't cut it for a long time and lots of dollars have been spent on what has turned into a family obsession!

Through all this, Connor has become an amazing baseball player. He is one of the smallest catchers but has been told by many coaches that he is one of the best. He has worked hard to improve over the years. It has always been his dream to play high school ball. When a child begins a sport at three or four-years-old, high school seems far away. However, before you know it, ten years have past and the opportunity to continue their passion is at their fingertips.

Chris and I were both involved in our high schools. Chris was on his school's baseball team and I was on Drill Team. High school holds a special place in my heart because of the extra-curricular activities that I was a part of. I can't tell you much about any particular class; but, I do remember performances, competitions, and practices. I remember the friendships that I made. Friendships that are still strong today. I so badly wanted the same for Connor.

When we moved to The Woodlands, Connor was starting first grade. We didn't realize that we had chosen to move to an area that has one of the most competitive baseball programs in Texas. We have heard rumors for years about the difficulty of getting on The Woodlands baseball team. This team is nationally-known. Players have gone on to play for the MLB from this team -- including last year's #2 pick Jameson Taillon.

This past Friday and Saturday were tryouts for the Sophomore team. The Sophomore team is made up of Freshman. There were about 55 kids competing for 12 spots. Connor was not feeling great about his performance on Friday; but, on Saturday, his talent was apparent.

(Let me add as a side note that I was a nervous wreck! It began about 2am Friday morning when sleep eluded me and I couldn't eat much all weekend either! I so badly wanted him to be a Highlander but was preparing myself to be strong and supportive if he didn't make it.)

Sunday was the day that the team was to be posted on the website. The kids were numbered during tryouts and their number would be listed on the website if they made the team. Connor was #3. Colby had a tournament about an hour from home early on Sunday so Connor chose to stay in bed. I really wanted to be with him when he found out. Throughout Colby's game, Chris and I kept checking the website (once again, I LOVE my I-Phone!!). As we were driving back home I kept checking. I had just checked about 11:27 but felt that maybe Coach Hill would post it at 11:30. I updated the site and the link started opening. I grabbed the dashboard and screamed, "It's coming up!"

(Another side note...you know how the girls on Miss Universe will hear their name called as the winner and their eyes quickly fill up with tears and they bring their trembling hand to their mouth?? Well, that is a TRUE reaction! I never experienced that before -- I guess because I have never won Miss Universe -- but I always thought that was so fake. Nope!)

The page opens and the first number on the list is #3. I become the winner of the Miss Universe Pageant! Except I quickly get over it and grab Chris's arm and Chris starts hollering, "He made it!?!" "He made it!!" I will never forget that feeling! It was awesome!!

So, in the meantime, Connor doesn't know and I want to at least hear his reaction. I decide we should call him and tell him my phone is messed up, would he go check it for us. Chris calls him -- because I am still crying and would never be able to hide my emotions.

"Hey, go check the link again. Mom's phone is acting funny."

"I just checked it about 3 minutes ago, dad."

"Go check it again for me. It's weird how mom's phone is acting."

"It's coming up...I made it."

"Why aren't you jumping up and down and screaming?"

"Because I can't feel the lower half of my body right now!"

To say that the whole family is on Cloud 9 is an understatement! We are all so thrilled and excited.

As a parent, it has been such a reward for me to see my child work so hard for something and actually attain it -- all on his own. Sure, we drove him and sat with him and spent our money; but, it was HIS hard work and diligence and perseverance that paid off.

And, guess what? The buddy down the street who played tournament ball at age 9 and the other buddy who would sleep over at our house with his baseball glove -- they made the team too!! How much more of an awesome thing is it than to experience this with boys who have a history together!

Go Highlanders!!

2 comments:

Justin said...

Great, great post, DD! I think it is my favorite! Danette was bawling as she read it. We are so happy for Conner. We hope that this tiem will be a fun and memorable experience that will lead him to know Jesus in greater and greater ways. We miss you guys.
Justind

Keri said...

Wow!!! I love this!! Great post....I love this for your family. Really, really love it!