Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Layer of White

This past weekend, we were living under a layer of white. In fact, parts of our home looked like a bomb had gone off!

We have begun a new project in our kitchen -- it started with getting granite countertops which lead to a new backsplash which lead to some new appliances.

Let me warn anyone that if your shopvac gets a tear in its filter, it creates a HUGE cloud of white dust as you are hammering out and chiseling away tile!! After the dust settled, my furniture and wood floors were a mess!

I always love new projects... the excitement of creating something new and something that says "us"; the many options that are in the decorative world (which I will add also creates major headaches because all those choices just slow me down!!); the tearing away of the old; and finally, the beauty of the new.

I tend to get antsy when my house is unkempt and messy. I just had to keep reminding myself that in a few short weeks, this kitchen is going to be beautiful and it will have been worth all the sneeze-inducing dust.

This makes me think about my life and how I am a constant project to God. He is always at work within me. Do I create a white layer of dust around Him as He is chiseling away my rough edges? Does He get excited about all the possibilities He can use to "update" me? Does He get antsy and tired of the mess I create around Him?

I can only hope that when He is finished with me He will not have had too many sneezing-fits and that He will back up, look at His creation and say, "She is beautiful. She was worth all that mess."

No comments: