Thursday, January 1, 2009

We Will Miss You, Mom Boots

Yesterday, we celebrated the life of a true Southern Lady. Chris's 90-year-old grandmother passed away on December 28. We laid her to rest next to her beloved Lloyd, who has been waiting for her in heaven for 11 years.

I first met Mom Boots and Daddy B 17 1/2 years ago. I was blessed to marry into that wonderful family who made me feel like a granddaughter from the start. During our first year of marriage, Chris and I went to Arkansas to visit them. They opened up their hearts, arms and home to me. Mom Boots would pour me a glass of southern iced tea -- sweeter than sweet and strong enough to chew! We would sit in her kitchen and visit as they do in Arkansas. She had a soft, southern drawl and always a twinkle in her eye.

She and Daddy B have a lake house on Lake Erling and that is where I first sat in a boat and fished. Now, by fished, I mean that my sweet groom would put a worm on my pole and I would hold the pole until I felt a tug. Then Chris would take it from there! However, our boys learned to love fishing while sitting on the dock at the cabin. When we went this past March to celebrate Mom Boots' 90th birthday, Colby had a successful fishing day - making his brother very frustrated! Mom Boots loved to fish more than anything and thought that the sunsets at Lake Erling were prettier than anywhere else in the world!

Fish frys, vegetable dinners, and milkshakes were always a part of our visits. We have great memories of walking in the woods, watching the deer come into their front yard, and taking life as it came.

Mom Boots was a strong, smart woman. She loved every one of her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren deeply. She will be greatly missed.

No comments: