Sunday, March 8, 2009

What Have We Created??

Our oldest, Connor, will be 13 soon. We decided to get him his first cell phone for Christmas (because, you know he was the ONLY one without one!!). He doesn't get home from school until about 4:30 and every once in a while he will text me while he is on the bus with a question about practice or something. So about 4:10 on Friday, my phone goes off and I check the text which read: "Madre can u fix me a cup of tea now cuz I am rlly thirsty". Are you kidding me? What have we created??

Well, Saturday I got to see what we have truly created and it made me proud.

In the baseball league that Connor plays for, there is a group called The Superstars. These are the physically and mentally challenged kids who still love the game of baseball and want an opportunity to play. Connor's baseball team has adopted them and helps out sometimes at their games. Saturday was opening day for Spring/Klein beginning with a parade. The Hooks were asked by the Superstar's parents to march with the Superstars in the parade. They then went on to help them with their first game of the season.

Connor was so excited to be a part of this. A few of the boys were a little timid and not sure what to do; but, not Connor. He ran onto the field and started warming up with the kids and talked to them and showed them how to do things that come second-nature to him. As I stood next to all of these proud mothers whose kids are on the Superstars team, I also oozed with pride for Connor and the other Hooks who really were enjoying this Saturday morning.

My hope is that Connor will always have that kindness in his heart for others and a willingness to help and teach.



And, yes, Connor, mom would love to fix you a cup of tea!

2 comments:

Keri said...

I LOVE this!!! What a great idea - and wonderful for these boys to recognize the value of life even in people that are different than we are.

Way to go mom......behind every great kiddo is a very proud mom who has worked hard to instill this kind of character in her son!

Danette said...

ahh, tears are streaming down my face...