Tuesday, August 31, 2010

It's What's Good For You

"Go brush your teeth."

"Study some everyday instead of cramming at the last minute."

"Wash your hands."

"Eat your vegetables."

Why is it that we have to be reminded, and sometimes nagged, to do what is good for us?

I tell my boys these things EVERY DAY...you think they would get tired of me telling them to brush their teeth. You'd think they would know that everyday I am going to ask them to wash their hands when they get home from school. But, I am not convinced they would do it if I didn't tell them to.

However, I find that it is not just my boys that need reminders.

I have to say that my favorite mornings are those when I have enough time to do two things -- exercise and have a quiet time.

Exercising is not my favorite thing. In fact, the mornings that I do The Shred I especially dread. But after I've made it and am pouring sweat and feeling nauseous, I am SO glad I did it. I feel good the rest of the day. Unfortunately, I need to see that "lovehandle" in the mirror in the morning to remind myself to exercise!

Having a quiet time is something that has been "preached" to me since I was tiny. And, I don't mean "preached" in a bad way, just that I have been told how important a quiet time is and reminded over and over to have one since before I can remember. Isn't it sad that something that should be second nature to a Christian is sometimes the last thing we want to do or find time to do??

I can honestly say that I do love my quiet times with God and I do love that I have Someone I can be 100% honest with and know He will not get angry with me or turn His back on me. I wonder all the time how non-Christians do it day in and day out without Him.

We watched "The Book of Eli" this weekend and I have to say that that movie convicted me of my lack of scripture memory! Wow!

I find it odd that a Hollywood movie reminded me that a quiet time is not just reading a passage and marking it as read for the year...it is about a relationship with God. Not just reading, but putting it in my heart -- remembering it -- reciting it. That is my goal this year is to put into practice Psalms 119:11
"Thy Word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against you."






No comments: