Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My Voice

There is a boy who plays baseball with Connor who also plays football. His mother told me that she has a "baseball voice" and a "football voice" -- the "baseball voice" being much more subdued and quiet.

When Connor decided to play football for his Junior High this year, I couldn't believe that I would have lots to yell about -- I don't even understand the game!! Plus, my "baseball voice" is far from subdued and quiet; so, I didn't figure I would have a "football voice".

Since I have been out of town, I have missed Connor's first two football games. I was just thrilled when Chris would text me to let me know he made it through each game uninjured!

Well, yesterday I got to see my son play football.

And, 20 minutes into the game, the quarterback from the other team is running down the field with the football and noone else is around EXCEPT my son...So, I start saying quietly, "Come on Connor. Get him." They get closer to one another and I feel my body standing up and my voice getting louder, "Get him, Connor!" And when my boy tackled that quarterback, my arms were raised high in the air and my "football voice" was heard throughout as I screamed, "WAY TO GO CONNOR!!" I looked around and noone else in the stands were standing up or had their hands high in the air but me! I sank back down to my seat and said, "That's my son."...as if they didn't know!

3 comments:

Justin said...

Now you get me! This is why I yell at the Cowboy games the way I do. They are like my love child! there is a football voice! Glad you found yours!

Justin

Danette said...

You just scored major points with your brother-in-law! :)

Keri said...

I LOVE this post.....I so have a football voice that carried over into baseball. I got several warning looks from my husband during baseball season. Guess I"m a football mom at heart!