Monday, March 14, 2011

Change Versus Variety

I am not a fan of change. When I was growing up, I ate the same lunch for years -- turkey sandwich, chips, grapes and three cookies...funny, I pack the same sort of lunch for my boys EVERYDAY!

Throughout the years I have had to learn how to at least accept change. The first 11 years of marriage, we moved nine times -- and not just to different houses but to different cities and states. Not easy for a girl who lived in only two houses before she was married!

As much as I like "sameness", I also like variety. For instance, I am always ready for the school bus to come by every morning! Following a schedule makes me feel in control. However, I was definitely ready for Spring Break this year and the ability to sleep in and hang out. We really have no plans and that feels good. Shoot, I may even let the boys eat Pop Tarts and drink Iced Tea for breakfast! That's variety!!

I decided that I like variety this weekend when we went plant shopping. I LOVE this time of year. Finally breaking out of the cold, seeing hints of color popping up and feeling the warm sun on my skin. I was ready for some color in my yard.

We headed to the garden center TWICE this weekend and have transformed our flower beds. Instead of getting the same ole same ole, we bought new and different plants. I decided it is OK not to have petunias and geraniums! This year we went all out and got daisies!! And, a Yucca!! And, all kinds of New Mexico-looking succulents.


Yes, I think my new motto is "Variety adds spice to life"! HAM sandwich anyone?!?

No comments: