Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My Baby Is Not A Baby Anymore

Colby is a Fourth Grader...for nine more weeks.

Where we live, elementary school is kindergarten-4th grade. Then they go to Intermediate School for 5th-6th grade. Then they go to Junior High for 7th -8th grade. Then they go to a 9th grade campus. And, finally, they go to the "Main Campus" for 10th-12th grade.

When we first moved here and Connor was in 1st grade, I thought how ridiculous it was that there was so much moving around for these students. However, I have learned to appreciated this craziness. I really do think this progression prepares our students for each next step.

I also have to say that, so far, we have had wonderful teachers and administrators. We are very blessed to live in this community. Our boys are receiving an excellent education.

Since we moved here nine years ago, one of our boys has attended the elementary school in our neighborhood -- nine years at the same school! I never fathomed we would be anywhere for that long! It is a school where we have met most of our best friends, where I have volunteered many hours, where my boys have been encouraged to broaden and strengthen their talents and abilities. They have participated in class musicals, Fun Runs, Jump Rope for the Heart, Wax Museums, and Reading Restaurants!

So when Colby put on his Fourth Grade Class t-shirt this morning, I got a little verclempt! I am excited to see what lies ahead for Colby...but I am sad that he is growing up so fast. And, truth be told, I am a little sad that I will not walk through those elementary doors anymore.


No comments: