Monday, December 17, 2012

Spicy -- and not so Spicy Date Nights

Connor got his driver's license in June.  It was a bittersweet moment for me.  On one hand, I was a nervous wreck watching him back out of the driveway by himself and head down the road.  On the other hand, it definitely freed up my schedule!

Both boys have practice on Monday nights at the same facility.  Therefore, Connor takes Colby and I get to stay home!!

Chris and I went to Las Vegas this summer and one of our favorite parts of each day was getting all dressed up and going to a nice restaurant for dinner.  Because of baseball and school, we didn't have a chance to do that much in our "real lives".  Well, now both boys are gone on Monday nights AND I don't have to be the taxi!  We came up with a plan...We would take turns choosing a place for dinner -- however, it had to be a place that neither of us had been to before.

We began this back in October and have stumbled upon some great food:
The first week was Chris's pick and we went to Thai Cottage.  Good food, good service, only two tables of people...hmmm.

The second week, I chose Yucatan Taco Stand.  It is on the Waterway and has awesome fish tacos -- which I didn't know I like until that night.

The third week, Chris enlisted the help of a friend from work.  We had met at the previous restaurants, but he decided to surprise me with this pick.  He came to pick me up and we drove and drove.  As he pulls up to Wunsche Bros. I am having a total dilemma in my head..."Do I lie to him?  Do I tell him I've been here several times before???"  I know that I can't keep anything from him, so I told him the truth. He was so upset but it was still an amazing Chicken Fried Steak!!

The fourth week, I chose Pallottas.  A great Italian restaurant - or so I was told.  We order and get our salad and bread.  When my entree comes out, it has shrimp and not chicken on it.  The waitress takes it back to redo while Chris waits patiently for me to get my plate back.  I'm sure his is cold by the time I get it, but he is too sweet to complain.  When I get my plate, we both dig in.  I'm eating and eating.  I twirl pasta around my fork and a long hair twirls right in with it!  Back it goes.  Chris waits.  The manager comes out to apologize and made mine and Chris's plates over again.  Third time was a charm!  Not sure if this place will be a repeat or not...

The fifth week Chris totally surprised me with Indian food at Bombay Sizzler.  It was amazing!  Since Chris travels a lot, he eats a variety of food but does enjoy Indian food.  One year I went with him to England and it was in Cheltenham that I had my first Indian food.  Bombay Sizzler was a sweet walk down memory lane.
I decided that night that I should be taking photos every Monday to commemorate our outings...

Week six was my turn and I had to makeup for my last choice.  I chose a Tapas bar.  I was all dressed up and Connor walked into the room and said, "Wow, mom.  Where are you going?"  I told him a tapas bar.  He thought I said a topless bar.  He turned and walked out of the room.  Once we both cleared it all up we had a huge laugh!  But, hey, if we start running out of restaurants to go to, we may have to go to a topless bar!  Hee!!

On week seven, we went out of our norm and had sushi at a place other than Uni.  Great soup.  Sushi wasn't bad either.  Company was awesome!

Thanksgiving came and went and we both were tired of eating.  Sad situation.  So for week eight we chose to go to Salata and eat a salad.  I couldn't even bear to take a photo.  :(  Not that the salads aren't good; but nothing about that Monday fit the rules.

Since our salad, we have been on a hiatus.  "Real life" has gotten the better of our Monday nights.  But I am really looking forward to January and continuing our new tradition!

No comments: