Saturday, December 1, 2007

Time Flies



I have been so busy with my first yearbook deadline (it is December 10!) that I never blogged about our Thanksgiving... We met my parents, sister, brother-in-law and their brood in Abilene. We have been doing this for about 4 or 5 years now. Why Abilene when none of us live there or are from there?? Well, it is kind of a central location between all of us. We actually found an awesome all-suites hotel that has an amazing breakfast, "happy hour" (which my mom loves! -- although this year they got rid of the free popcorn!!), and a Thanksgiving buffet that tastes great without having to cook it or clean up after it! My dad especially loves this part since he is a very hands-on helper. This gives all of us a day off.

Usually we find some "hidden treasure" of Abilene to experience on the Friday after so we don't have to face the crowds of the stores! We have found a great kids museum, a quaint zoo where the giraffes and bears are RIGHT THERE!!, a fun park, the smoky bowling alley, and a drive-through Christmas light display that burned down last year(!).

Well, this year, as we were planning where to take an outside family photo for my mom's Christmas gift, we watched snow flurries fall from Abilene's sky. As the day progressed, the snow continued to fall AND stick! The weatherman said we received 4 inches! I, of course, did not pack for snow; but, the kids had lots of fun for the 5minutes that I let them play outside! We did manage to get a pretty descent family photo on Friday after most of the snow melted considering it was about 40 degrees and there were 5 kids under 6! We did have a wonderful weekend and were especially thankful because mom's year of chemo treatment is over, we hope!

Today, we were once again working on the backyard and sweating -- because, you know, why would December in Houston be colder than 79 degrees?!? -- I realized how fast a week goes by and the changes that happen and I hope that the memories our family creates will stick in our minds always!

No comments: