Saturday, September 20, 2008

My Faithful Teachers

My mom has been battling cancer for the past two years. The start of her story is posted in my post titled "Reasons To Be Thankful" in 2007. We then found out this July that the cancer had returned. This second time around the treatment has been much more aggressive. She had two rounds of three-days-a-week chemotherapy. She then entered the hospital last Thursday and received six days of radical chemotherapy to kill her bone marrow. On Wednesday, she had a stem cell transplant. She will remain in the hospital until Monday unless infection sets in.

God has blessed her beyond measure. She has the most amazing attitude toward it all and believes that God is using this as a ministry. Her church presented her with a beeper to take into the hospital with her. Any time someone prays for her, they call a phone number and it makes the beeper go off. She says the beeper starts going off about 4:30 am and doesn't stop until after midnight! She says just that beeper has brought many questions from nurses and other patients alike. Mom enjoys telling them all about her faith and how that faith has sustained her through "her adventure".

She is going to have a long road ahead of her to get back to normal. I have no doubt that she will do it and do it with class! She says that she has gotten up every morning while in the hospital and gets showered, clothed and make-up on! Other patients think she is headed home. She is not one to pad around in her pj's. I think this is why she is doing so well.

My mom and dad have been rocks through this. They have taught me lots in my 37 years; but, most importantly they have taught me how important it is to trust God in everything.

No comments: