Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Everyone Needs A Personal Day

We started a tradition a couple of years ago. After the much anticipated TAKS testing is finished and school is winding down, Colby is allowed a "Personal Day" off of school. His big brother does not like this because he is not allowed a "Personal Day". That's the way it goes when you're a big bad High Schooler!

When my boys were younger, I was afraid of the school system. The teachers and administrators made me feel that if my child wasn't near death, he should be at school. My most vivid memory was when Connor was going into the third grade (which is the year that TAKS testing begins). It was a tradition with Chris's family to meet in Angel Fire for Labor Day Weekend. We had done this for years and had every intention of continuing it even though Connor would miss a week of school. At Open House, I told his teacher that we would be gone that week and I thought her head was going to spin 360 degrees!

We ended up going anyway, but that was the last year that we did. Those darn intimidating teachers!!

I guess I grew thicker skin through the years or realized that the boys COULD miss a day or two and not flunk out! It did take me until this year to tell the Attendance Office that he was taking the day off just because -- NOT that I flat out lied the previous years -- but I may have said something to the effect that he wasn't feeling well. :*)

After combing the calendar, we decided today was the day. He wanted to see a movie, get his hair cut and look at this bike that he has been researching on the Internet.

We got to the theater and found that no other parent was as cool as me...it was empty!

Of course, we did go see Rio which has been out forever so that might have helped!

Nothing like a 3D movie, an Icee and popcorn for lunch!

After getting a haircut, we ran to Old Navy to get some shorts and he found and HAD TO HAVE this t-shirt:
Nice, huh?!?

Then it was on to the bike store. He found this BMX bike that can do tricks and drift and I don't know what all. It made me a little nervous when the salesman asked to see Colby's front teeth to see if they were his permanent ones. When he found out they were he suggested that he ride it with a toothguard! Not a great sales tactic! BUT...I am a total pushover and ended up buying the bike for him. He has said "Thank you!" over and over and come up and thrown his arms around my neck without any abandon! That was worth the price of the bike!!

I guess his new t-shirt will go with his new bike...'cuz' "that's how he rolls" for sure!

I do have to say that last year we went bowling and he got a couple packets of those Silly Band Bracelets...I think I need to put a price cap on Personal Days from now on!!

1 comment:

Keri said...

I so love this!!! I think it's so fun for kids to see their parents break the rules sometimes...especially when they benefit from it! I love it!