Friday, May 20, 2011

It's The Beginning of the End

I've mentioned before that this is Colby's last year in Elementary School. Nine days left at a school we have attended for 8 years.

The past several weeks I have had many "lasts".

My last Field Day was a couple of weeks ago. I really expected to get emotional about it. It was a pretty hot day and it had just rained the night before. I was in charge of the three-legged race. I placed a tied rope around muddy shoe after muddy shoe. I cheered the teams on to victory. I counted down the hours until it was over!...No tears!

Yesterday was my last day to volunteer in the school library. I asked Colby at breakfast if he would be embarrassed if I cried and came to give him a hug while he was looking at the books. He said, "Please mom. No!"

As I was shelving books, the students were listening to the school counselor give a talk on what to expect next year at their new school. She asked them what they were feeling. One little boy raised his hand and said, "I'm scared." Yep...I started tearing up! These little babies are going to be heading into the next phase of their lives in three short months. I'm scared for them too! Luckily, Colby watched his brother love every aspect of 5th grade; so, he is totally excited! I can't ask for anything more!

As of right now, I am doing pretty good on laying off of the water works. However, in nine days, I will be sitting in the cafeteria/gym for the last time, watching my baby walk across the stage and graduate. And then I will be standing in the hallway participating in a clapout with the other students and watch him exit the school for the last time. I am positive that I will need to be packing LOTS of kleenex that day!

No comments: