Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My Childhood vs. My Son's Childhood

A little background about me...

I was born and raised in Albuquerque, N. M. I went to a private school from kindergarten through 2nd grade because my birthday is Sept. 25 and was 24 days too late to begin kindergarten. My mom felt I was ready and so I was enrolled in a private, Christian school. By 3rd grade, my parents felt that I should try the public elementary school that was two miles from our house instead of the private one that took about 30 minutes to drive to each morning. We lived in the "South Valley" -- I can truthfully say that Caucasians are the minority in that part of town. I think the only two Caucasians at Adobe Acres Elementary were myself and my teacher, Mrs. Kryloff. By the end of that year, the only things I could do well was shuffle a deck of cards and speak with the thickest Mexican accent anyone has ever heard. "Ee whole la" (spelling?!?) came out of my mouth after just about everything! (Needless to say, I returned to the private school in 4th grade!!) Anyhow, for those of you who don't know a "Cholo" and a "Chola" are slang for a Mexican boy and girl.

Tonight we are sitting at Chick-fil-A and Connor is singing under his breath some song he heard recently -- about Cholos. I have never heard this song and asked him if he even knew what Cholos were. "Oh, yeah. You know, it is one of those BIG violins."

No comments: