Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Back To My Roots

I have to share my excitement for the day...maybe the week...maybe the month! I have been waiting for September 11 for a BIG reason...Kenny Chesney's new CD came out today!! Yipee! I threatened to go to Walmart at midnight last night when it went on sale. Instead I went this morning and had to help the clerk unpack the box! But I got it and it is good! And, guess what? Kenny and George Strait do a duet on one of the songs -- OK that is so great! Kenny and George are my two most favorite singers! Yeah!!

I was raised on country music. I "was country when country wasn't cool"! I grew up during the music of the 70's, 80's and 90's and I couldn't sing you a complete Duran Duran or Men at Work song! But, I can sing to you all the lyrics of country songs from the 60's, 70's , 80's and 90's! I "freak out" my oldest son. Although, this summer, my dad introduced him to Alan Jackson and he has now added some very "redneck" songs to his I Pod!

When Chris and I were dating, I knew I found my match because he would wear his boots and jeans and drive his dad's green Ford step side pickup with the windows rolled down and blaring Don Williams! Aah, the good old days! Now he wears Dockers, shoes and drives his yellow Corvette with the windows rolled down blaring the Top 20 hits of today! Country somehow got out of his blood. But, we do agree on Kenny (just not George -- I can't understand why!). Kenny has a Caribbean flair and Chris and I both could easily become beach bums; so, I guess that is why Chris likes him so much too. In fact, for Valentine's Day, Chris bought me tickets to see Kenny in concert in The Woodlands. He came in July and even though it poured rain (and we were in an amphitheater), it was THE best concert I have been to!

Let me just add that I have expanded my music library. I love KSBJ, the Christian radio station in Houston and I even know most of the words to the Top 20 hits also. But, I will always have country in my blood.

Now if you'll excuse me because I must go and blare my stereo!

2 comments:

Justin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Justin said...

Justin doesn't understand our roots, but I guarantee you--we would win Country Nite on "Don't Forget the Lyrics"! Now I have "I was country, when country wasn't cool...." playing over and over in my head--thanks a lot! :)
D