Monday, September 3, 2007

God and girls

This weekend brought a new phase to our lives as parents and made me decide I was FINALLY going to start a blog. You see, I am not new to the blogging world. I spend about an hour of my "free" time each day reading many entertaining blogs. I feel like these ladies are my dearest friends. My sister and I read some of the same blogs and will call each other and talk about so-and-so like they are our best friend!! Isn't that pathetic??? Anyway, I hope my blog (although will probably only be read by my husband, mom, sister, and maybe brother-in-law) will do for those who read it what these other blogs do for me -- to help others realize that life happens. Some days it is funny, some days it is not; but, you keep plowing on and one day look back and read past entries and say "Life is good!" The reality is that my blog will probably not receive any blogging awards -- yes, honey, there are such things! -- but, instead will be a great way to use that Journalism Degree I spent 4 years getting. I want to journal my days and hopefully, with my blog in mind, find the funny, interesting, life-changing story of each day.


So, back to this weekend. Actually, let me back up two months...Connor, our 6th grader, found two of the most important things in his life this summer...God and girls. I don't mean to say God and girls go hand-in-hand. God is definitely priority #1; but, Connor is now beginning his search for his life-long partner. I know that sounds silly; but, hey, I found mine when I was 13!! Anyway, Connor accepted Christ in June at our church's VBS for pre-teens, called VBX. A moment Christian parents pray for and are so happy when it happens. He also started instant messaging with friends from his class around June -- including girls!


Fast forward to Saturday night. We were getting his swimsuit and t-shirt in a bag for his baptism on Sunday morning when the phone rang. I said, "Hello?" A sweet little voice said, "Is Connor there?" "Ahhhh, hold on please." They proceeded to talk about 30 minutes. Now, as I told Connor, girls shouldn't be calling boys - especially when they are only in the 6th grade. My parents wouldn't allow me to call boys. (That's a different blog entry though!) But two other realizations this weekend made me realize that my life as a mom is changing. Connor needs to start wearing deodorant AND he has a pimple on his nose!! I am now in preteen-land!


I know there are going to be much bigger and scarier things in the next years that follow than a girl calling my house or a zit. So as I watched him be baptized Sunday morning, I realized that he was not only following Christ's example, but he was showing me that he is God's and I can let go a little more and trust that God will guide him through every decision. My new prayer for Connor is that he will serve God every day and will one day find his perfect helpmate!

2 comments:

Mom22Boyz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brittani's Holding Little Hands said...

Welcome to blogland. I'm so glad you decided to take the plunge:) I, too, have a journalism degree and I can't think of a better way to use it than recording life with family!