Friday, September 7, 2007

I Should Be in Commercials

You know that commercial of the lady driving backwards around and around her cul-de-sac? Or the one of the boy waiting for the bus on a hot day wrapped up in a blanket?? Or the couple thinking that the opening and closing of curtains is a Morse Code signal??? That is me, just not for Febreeze.

Today is laundry day. I do laundry on Mondays and Fridays. I don't really mind doing laundry; but, I "enjoy" it more on Fridays because that is my only chore for the day. I haven't always liked doing laundry. In fact, I only started doing laundry when I went away to college. I had a great mom who did all that for me! And, I obviously didn't watch her do laundry because I had LOTS of pink clothes that first semester! In fact, my poor husband had lots of pink clothes early on in our marriage as well. Good thing he looks good in pink! Anyway, we got married when we were still in college, so money was very tight. My laundry detergent was the cheapest brand out there and my softener was a dryer sheet. Our clothes have never smelled fresh!

Through the years I have found little secrets fighting stains -- which is necessary with 2 boys whose sport of choice is baseball. The biggest clothes saver is Greased Lightning. It is not even in the laundry section. It is next to Fantastic, 409, etc. This is THE BEST dirt, grass, tea, ketchup...remover of all time. I learned about it through a fellow baseball mom who knew the rest of us moms were having a hard time keeping our son's WHITE baseball pants clean. WHITE BASEBALL PANTS?? Please! But it worked. So Shout went out the window. Another clothes saver is Goo Gone. If, for some reason, Greased Lightning doesn't get it out, or I don't see the stain until AFTER I have dried it and pressed a hot iron on it, I can be sure that Goo Gone will get it out. Just rub a little on the stain and wash as normal. Awesome!

Through the last 16 years, I have upgraded the laundry detergent. I went through a Cheer stage and a Tide stage and now Gain is the detergent of choice. Still after this "splurging" on detergent our laundry did not smell fresh. We spend many weekend nights in hotels across Texas with Connor's baseball team. On one such night one of the mom's knocked on our door and offered to wash Connor's uniform for the next day. "Absolutely!" It came back smelling SOOOO good. "What do you use?" "Downy." Who knew?? Why did it take me 16 years to find this wonder?

I ran to the store and bought my first bottle of Downy and one of those Downy Balls. Our clothes smell so fresh now! I love doing laundry. I, like those on the commercials, put the fabric to my nose and inhale so deeply. It makes me very happy! Weird, huh? And now at night, when I hug my husband, I hug a little longer. I think he's on to me though -- because my nose stays on his shoulder and I inhale deeply and say, "MMM, you smell good!" They haven't done that scene on a commercial yet!

No comments: