Friday, September 7, 2007

My Job -- Taxi Driver

Because my main reason for this blog is a journal for me to look back on and remember the good and the bad, I HAD to blog again today to tell what my sweet boys said to me yesterday. Yesterday started out really good and until 3:30 or so was relaxing. AND THEN, school let out and all the activities began! Both boys had baseball practice at the same time but, of course, different places. Fifteen minutes before we were to leave, it starts pouring! What do I do? I keep checking e-mails knowing for sure both coaches would call off practice. Nope! So we rush around, getting dressed and gear packed and water bottles filled and get into my just washed car(!) and head out of the driveway. My cell phone rings and Chris says, "You might as well turn around, Connor's practice was cancelled." Surely Colby's was too. I pull back into the drive and take my purse and run inside to check e-mails again. No e-mail from Colby's coach! So, I call him and he says they are still having it, but if we wanted we could skip it. Colby says, "Mom, I really want to go." I am frazzled! Urgh!! Connor looks at me and says, "Mom, when you get old, I will take you wherever you need to go." It took me by surprise! He's never said something so sweet!


Well, I get in the car and speed off! It normally takes 40 minutes to get to Colby's practice field. I only had 35 minutes at this point; so, I decided to take the back roads. Wrong move!! I decide I need some gum to chew away my frustration. I reach for my purse -- no purse. Where is my purse? I suddenly remember leaving it on the back of the barstool while I checked e-mail for the 100th time that afternoon! No gum, no driver's license. I decided God must have made me go the backroads because there was no way I could get pulled over for speeding when I could only go 5 MPH because of traffic! (He knows how I drive on the freeway!) Colby's practice was from 6-7. After one hour of driving, we arrive at 6:20! I am not happy. The team was working on their batting and I sit there thinking, "Why in the heck did we waste our time, gas, and get my clean car dirty for this?!?" Practice ends and Colby runs straight to me and looks at me with a big smile and says, "Thank you, Mom, for bringing me tonight!" Talk about bursting my selfish bubble!!


In one night, within hours of each other, both of my boys showed genuine thanks and love to me! The frustration and aggravation floated away and I decided that I do love my "job".

No comments: