Friday, October 22, 2010

Don't Get Dressed In The Dark

I have always done some form of exercise. I have never joined a gym or boot camp. The only time I exercised with other live people was in college when I took an aerobics class. I have never enjoyed jumping around and sweating in front of others! I feel that I am fortunate to have the willpower to put on some DVD and work out with the people on the OTHER side of the screen!

When I went home for a visit this summer, my mom and I walked three miles every day around her neighborhood. When I came home five pounds lighter (even after having all the comfort foods that say "Albuquerque"), I thought maybe this was a form of exercise I should take up!

Weeks passed and then a couple months passed and I still hadn't "walked among the people"! Mom came in late September and we decided to walk again. I even added an app to my phone to keep track of our progress. Last week, Chris and I walked and improved on mine and mom's time.

This morning I decided it was a beautiful morning and I should do this on my own. I sat out for my route, passed lots of people -- some I knew -- , smiled and said a cheery "Good Morning", even tried to improve my time by running in spurts here and there. When I got home I had improved my time! 3.03 miles in 46 minutes! I was feeling pretty impressed with myself.

I walked into the house and passed a mirror only to see that the gray shorts I had picked up off the closet floor in the dark this morning -- and still was wearing-- were smeared with yellow paint all over the rear!! Remembering all those people who had passed me on foot and in their cars had me turning red. I then reached into the waistband of those shorts to get the kleenex I had stashed there just in case and ... it was GONE!!

I am sure there is someone who will tell about this poor woman they passed today who had a yellow butt and a kleenex trailing behind her! Hmmm....at least I was friendly!

No comments: