Saturday, October 9, 2010

Pesky Critters

We have lots of trees. In fact, when we moved in there were 57 trees in the backyard alone. We built our pool and had to cut down 20 trees, leaving 37 -- which is still a LOT!

I have always enjoyed the squirrels that call our yard "home". They are fun to watch as they chase each other around the yard and across the trees and build their nests and collect their nuts.

After Hurricane Rita and Hurricane Ike, we even nursed baby squirrels that had fallen out of the trees.

After a long week and not needing to be anywhere until 3:00 today, I was looking forward to sleeping in. At 7:45, I was awakened by a thunderous sound! It had to have been a HERD of squirrels running on the roof right above my bedroom.

Running, running, running, BANG....silence!

Colby comes running into my room. "Mom, there is a dead squirrel on the glass table on the patio. He is laying like this." He proceeded to get in the fetal position.

Oh man! Poor squirrel was playing chase on the roof and must have slipped!

It seems I have animal issues whenever Chris is gone. So, in the few short seconds it took for me to process the fact that a dead squirrel was on my table, I decided that my poor neighbor would be getting a call to come and get it off of there!!

Colby decided to go take another look ... and the squirrel was gone! Hallelujah!! He was resurrected and I didn't have to call Brad!!!

After a while of lying there, I decided that I should do something productive. It was a beautiful morning so I went to pull weeds out of the flower beds. Our front yard has a big oak tree in the front flower bed with a big squirrel nest in it. As I was bending over pulling weeds, nuts started raining down on my head.

"What the heck?"

I look up and there is a squirrel throwing nuts down at me!

I gave up. This day was going to the squirrels!!

No comments: