Thursday, October 7, 2010

Parenting Child # Two

As the firstborn, I always thought that I got the raw end of the deal. I had to wait for a certain age to wear makeup, get my ears pierced or shave my legs. I still say my little sister got to shave before she should have!!

I am finding that I truly am harder on my firstborn. (Connor reads this blog so I am risking a lot by admitting this!)

Connor is a social butterfly and likes to talk. Every October from kindergarten until about sixth grade, I would get a call from his teacher telling me he is talking too much and is disturbing the class. He would no doubt be disciplined--usually grounded from something that he thought he might die from a lack of! But then he straightened up and I wouldn't get a call until the next October!

Colby has always been my shy, quiet one...until this year! We are about seven weeks into school and he has brought home several notes from teachers saying he is sweet but is talking too much and being disruptive. He has even had to sit out of a few recesses as a result.

Have I grounded him? No. I just can't believe he is not going to start behaving properly.

After having to sit out of recess AGAIN this week, I proceeded to ask him the following morning before school if he was going to have to sit out of recess that day. He looked up at me and with the most sincere look said, "Well, not yet mom."

Guess I need to find out what he thinks he might die from a lack of!!

No comments: