Sunday, September 12, 2010

Different Types of Genes

I am always amazed how children that come from the same two parents can be so different. Same DNA, right?

Take my sister and I for instance. Pretty much complete opposites. She has four children under 9-years-old and would have many more. She home schools three of them. She has the patience of Job. Me -- two kids are plenty, I can barely do homework with my boys, and I have no patience! There are enough differences in us that my mom often says, "I know they are sisters because I was in the room when both of them were born!"

As my boys get older, I am seeing more and more differences between them. Connor has always been strong-willed; Colby is more laid back. Connor is very competitive; Colby is not as much. Connor is all about English and History; Colby loves Math and Science.

Colby also is interested in art. In fact, when we were in Washington, D.C., he really wanted to go to at least one art museum. This picture tells the difference between our boys and their love of art.

Colby would go around the room looking carefully at each art piece. Connor would plop down on the couch and get out his phone to text a friend!

Colby has become quite a little artist. Back in May, I blogged about him "winning" a spot in his school district's art show. About 15 students' art work were picked from each school to be displayed for the year. In fact, we hadn't gotten to see his piece until today. We received a formal invitation inviting us to an Open House to view the art pieces on display at the Administration Offices.

Halls and halls of pictures from students in kindergarten through 12th grade were framed and hanging for us to view. We searched and finally found it!

This is ' "Meet" Eater '. Colby's first masterpiece!


Maybe one day, I will be able to take a picture of my son looking at his masterpiece in the Smithsonian Museum of Art!

No comments: