Sunday, September 19, 2010

The First Four Tastes

As promised...per Beth Moore...Tastes of Kindness:

I am only going to give the first four tastes of kindness. I want those of you who read this to not be overwhelmed. Think about these ideas. They are little nuggets of gold!

1. Kindness is not a weakness.
*It takes divine empowerment to be kind in this mean world.
Luke 6:35
"But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because He is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful just as your Father is merciful."

Beth said that if in the last week, you haven't run across someone who it is hard to be kind to, then you are not getting out enough! It is time to head to the mall!! When we have to deal with unkind people is when we show we are His children.

This was the first "Ouch" point for me. Lately, I find myself staying at home. I just don't feel like dealing with anyone or anything. I always find some reason not to get out. I feel too tired to deal! Is the reality that I do not feel like being kind?? Guess I need to head to the mall more often!! :)

Beth also gave the difference between "kindness" and "being nice". (Another "ouch" point for me).
Kindness is being fully aware of the ungratefulness and wickedness in the world and making a decision to be kind.
"Nice" is from the Latin word "necius" meaning "ignorant", "not-knowing". In essence, if you can be nice, you're an idiot!

Wow! I find it easy to put a smile on my face and "pretend". That makes me nice, not kind...

She also pointed out that kindness is capable of speaking a hard word.
Psalm 141:5
"Let a righteous man strike me -- it is a kindness;
let him rebuke me -- it is oil on my head.
My head will not refuse it."

This is a great concept for parents who don't like to discipline their children. You can still be kind -- in fact, you ARE being kind when you discipline your child. Train them now in the way they should go and when they are old they will not turn from it!!

2. Kindness is not an action. It is a disposition.

The adjective word "kind" in Greek is defined as "profitable, fit, good for any use, good-natured".
You need JOY to be kind.
The noun word "kind" in Greek is defined as "the grace which pervades the whole nature."

Again, because kindness is a disposition, it cannot be faked.

3. Kindness wears down when we do.
DING, DING, DING!!! This has my name all over it!!

This is the work of the enemy! He wears us down!

It is easy to know when our hearts are broken, but not when our hearts get warn down.

What are some things that wear us down?
*resentment
*hatred
*jealousy
*pressure
*bitterness
*being sick of the rat race

What do I need to do when I am worn down?
Matthew 11:28-30
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Any time we are worn down, we need to be built up -- our spirit, not our egos!!

God also uses other believers to help build us up. We need to be vulnerable, transparent. This will produce accountability!

4. Kindness looks pain in the face.
Job 6:28
"But now be so kind as to look at me. Would I lie to your face?"

Don't look away from someone in pain.

In Titus 3:4-5, it says, "But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy." The Greek word used for "love" in verse 4 is "philanthropia" or philanthropy - "lover of mankind; lover of humanity". Our culture is trying to take "God" out of philanthropy! The ability to love and give to mankind cannot be found in ourselves. We need God.

Kindness is not an easy thing to be. But, it is so important for us to be kind. I am going to work harder at it!!

No comments: