Thursday, September 9, 2010

Kids

Today was my first day back as library volunteer. I love this volunteer duty--no doors to knock on asking for money, no milk boxes or gogurts to open after kids mouths have tried...

The class comes into the library, leave the books for me to check-in and shelve and then sit in a circle to listen to a story from the librarian.

Today she read a book about Jacques Cousteau. She began by prefacing that when Mr. Cousteau was filming sea life, it was a big deal to see it on TV. There was not a Discovery Channel--Shark Week was non-existent. In fact, she told them, there were only four channels on a TV-- NBC, CBS, ABC and PBS.

I am thankful that I was bending over reshelving books at that moment because the shock wave that followed might have blown me over!

"What?!?", the kids all asked in unison.

Yep, life was hard 30 years ago!!

No comments: