Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sixth Sense

Have you ever had a feeling like something you are about to do is just not right? I woke up this morning and my sixth sense was in full bloom.

The past few years, my mom, sister and I meet in Canton, TX to go to the Trade Days and shop 'til we drop! Since my mom's Stem Cell Transplant three years ago, this has become how the three of us "celebrate" her second birth! We have a great time together shopping, eating, laughing. In fact, I can't believe it has been a year since I posted about our last trip and how we closed the place down on Saturday in the pouring rain while carrying more than our arms were capable of and all needing to use the bathroom. We just had to stop and laugh!

Mom flew in yesterday (hence, the day-off of posting on the blog!). She and I and my BFF are heading to Canton tomorrow and my sister and her two girls are meeting us there on Friday.

For some reason, I am the "travel agent" of the family. We all meet for Thanksgiving also and I am usually the one who makes all the arrangements. Canton is no different and I have to say that "so far, so good" on the places we have stayed and eaten at.

A few months ago, I made reservations for all of us for Canton. We normally stay in Tyler, which is a 45 minute drive to Canton. Thinking that we should save about 15 minutes, I made reservations in a small town that no one had heard of. I didn't think about the hotel again...UNTIL this morning! That's when my sixth sense kicked in.

When I made the reservations, I had gone to the hotel website and read the reviews. Yes, it was a small town and yes, it wasn't the Ritz; but, it was closer and would be fine.

I went to the website today and read more reviews and realized that this "hotel" was definitely not the Ritz...it was closer to the Roach Motel. Let me just say that after reading the reviews, there was no way I was going to take a shower, lie in their beds OR walk on their carpets!

Canton Trade Days are a HUGE deal and I was pleased to get our rooms a few months ago. How in the world was I going to find rooms the night before we were going?!? My successful travel agent days were in jeopardy!! I decided right off the bat that we needed to drive the extra 15 minutes and stay in the metropolis of Tyler! I began calling hotels. No vacancy. No vacancy. And, then, JACKPOT!! Yes, we have two rooms available! And, let me get you a special rate! YES!!

My sixth sense has been very relieved all day. Hopefully, it is still working and we aren't now headed to the Bates Motel!!

No comments: